[FoRK] Is Obama Libertarians' Fault?

Russell Turpin russell.turpin at gmail.com
Wed May 5 11:52:24 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Bill Stoddard <wgstoddard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could it be that most self proclaimed libertarians are actually
> 'corporatists' (ie, government by and for corporations)?  Not taking any
> sides here, just sayin...

For anyone with even moderate libertarian sentiments, it seems to me
one of the largest issues today is the use of the threat of terrorism
to cut down long-standing protections against government abuse. The
most heinous example, of course, was the US resorting to a policy of
torture under Bush. Liebermann's recent proposal for stripping
citizenship is pretty scary also, given its intent is to remove
Constitutional protections prior to an individual's conviction.

Libertarians always were at some tension with Republicans over civil
liberty issues such as abortion. And over how to view national borders
and immigration. Given how these issues have become such touchstones
for the GOP, and also the GOP's support for an ever more-powerful
state-at-permanent-war, I don't see that the cleavage is just spite
for Bush.