[FoRK] Do You Belong to The Church?

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Wed May 5 14:38:53 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 03:32:13PM -0400, James Tauber said:
> You see, from the ages of 9-12, I lived in Brunei where my father
> worked for Shell. I went to a company school, we lived in a company
> house with company furniture, we shopped at a company run supermarket.
> Growing up, to me, this was big business.

I grew up on military bases all my life where you had much the same
effect - everything is provided for you by the 'company'.

In many ways it was kind of idyllic. There's virtually no crime - maybe
the occasional drunken brawl, drink driving or domestic disturbance -
and even the incidents of that are much lower, partly because the
potential punishment is so life altering. As a kid I played in acres of
woods and my parents never worried about me, I was, after all, guarded
by men with guns. Everyone was comfortably off and, apart from a certain
uniformity, the base was like pleasant small town.

I'm kind of fascinated by town's like Disney's Celebration which in some
ways recreate these kind of environments - by agreeing to live by a
relatively strict set of rules you get to live in an 'ideal' town.