[FoRK] Do You Belong to The Church?

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Wed May 5 21:03:20 PDT 2010

On May 5, 2010, at 11:48 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
> James says:  "In my mind, any n-dimensional political classification needs a dimension where pro-government and pro-big-business are at the same end of the spectrum."
>
> See, this is the problem:  I do agree with you that there are very distinct and surprising similarities, but collapsing these two things into the same dimension is a mistake.  It completely ignores the most significant difference between the two, namely the coercive might of law and enforcement capability which government enjoys and which corporate interests (by and large) do not.

But that's just an argument for n > 1 isn't it? I'm not saying *the* spectrum has pro-government and pro-big-business at the same end; just that there is one useful axis where they are at the same end.

> Also, JT says:  "I view freelancers as a far better example of free markets than big businesses..."
>
> +1
>
> But I'll go you one further:  for me, the pinnacle of the free market is the scrappy bootstrap entrepreneur with the disruptive innovation.  Some might think that I'm straining my arm patting myself on the back by that comment, but you'd be mistaking effect for cause.  (FWIW, I rarely went the actual bootstrap route.  In hindsight, much to my dismay...)

Well, I'd combine the two and say it's the scrappy bootstrap entrepreneur that hires freelancers rather than employees.

Which is pretty much what I've done with Eldarion :-)

James