[FoRK] Hospital orders 100 iPads

Christopher Herot cherot at herot.com
Thu May 6 09:28:30 PDT 2010

The tablet form factor is particularly well suited to fields such as health
care where the user is not working at a desk.  On a recent visit to one
large hospital organization I saw half a dozen tablet devices they were
evaluating, but it took someone with the scale of Apple to make something
for $500 that has a nice big color screen. Of course it doesn't have ports
to plug in all those USB-connected devices and requires a proprietary
Apple-specific chip to build a Bluetooth device, but those are solvable with
mere $$$.

The Citrix application gets around the problem of building iPad specific
apps by resurrecting an idea from the 1960's: time sharing. Only this time
around the screen is in color and the "terminals" are wireless.