[FoRK] Google's time machine; also, IBM's $12B pre-crime division

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu May 6 10:54:44 PDT 2010

...or, Schlepping Towards Psychohistory, part N...

--

These may have made the rounds before, but worthy of the post:

via

  http://gizmodo.com/5532048/google-is-building-a-secret-time-machine

cf

  http://blog.recordedfuture.com/

and

  http://gizmodo.com/5517231/crime-prediction-software-is-here-and-its-a-very-bad-idea

--

It's real, it works, and it's here.  I've seen this working first-hand in a particular narrow domain for the last several years, but the implications are far broader.  The practical applications as well as the field itself are all developing further, faster than even my optimistic self has been speculating about for the last few years.  Data trumps everything.  The actual apps mentioned above are, IMHO, rather limited --- the folks with the real, meaty capabilities in this arena aren't talking much about such things publicly.

Now how do we deal with the implications?  Or is any attempt to manage these implications simply futile?

And if corporations are entelechic non-persons with independent and inscrutable motivations and impact, what do such entities endowed with this capability represent?

Enjoy,

jb