[FoRK] Hospital orders 100 iPads [2]

Dave Kammeyer kammeyer at kammeyer.org
Thu May 6 16:03:01 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Sean Conner <sean at conman.org> wrote:

>  Depending upon the use-case, client certificates (much like secure
> certificates for websites where the client certifies the server, these let
> the server certify the client) could work.  We use this at work, and no
> passwords are required.  Plus, they can be set to expire, and even revoked.

I'm not well versed in HIPAA, but if the only thing required to gain
access to medical records is a file which is on every doctor's USB
key, I'd rather have a password.  Some of the android phones have a
neat gesture based password, where you make a single stroke that
passes through a set of boxes on the screen.  Something like that is
basically the same as a password, and is easier to enter on an iPad.

As for the iPad in a medical setting, it has a lot of potential, as it
doesn't get in the way between the doctor and patient, has a nice
screen, and isn't too cumbersome.  The problem is input.  The doctor
is going to be writing freeform notes about the patient, and I don't
see how the doctor is supposed to do that on an iPad.  If it's at all
slower than handwriting, it's more cost effective to have him write on
paper and have someone else transcribe it.  I have seen iPhone
styluses, and maybe you could write something that would allow the
doctor to make picklist type choices, plus e-ink that gets transcribed
(for now) by a human.

-Dave