[FoRK] Hospital orders 100 iPads [2]

Sean Conner sean at conman.org
Thu May 6 17:00:08 PDT 2010

It was thus said that the Great Dave Kammeyer once stated:
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Sean Conner <sean at conman.org> wrote:
> >
> >  Depending upon the use-case, client certificates (much like secure
> > certificates for websites where the client certifies the server, these let
> > the server certify the client) could work.  We use this at work, and no
> > passwords are required.  Plus, they can be set to expire, and even revoked.
> >

> I'm not well versed in HIPAA, but if the only thing required to gain
> access to medical records is a file which is on every doctor's USB
> key, I'd rather have a password.

  Why?  It's just as easy if the doctor loses his USB key to inform the
proper department to have them revoke that certificate (much like revoking a
credit card).  In fact, that seems better than for the doctor to not realize
his password has been compromised (because he wrote it down somewhere and
someone memorized it [1]).

  Also, if the doctor knows his password has been compromised, he still
still have to inform the proper department, so I don't see why a password is
better than a certificate on a USB key (or on his private iPad).

> As for the iPad in a medical setting, it has a lot of potential, as it
> doesn't get in the way between the doctor and patient, has a nice
> screen, and isn't too cumbersome.  The problem is input.  The doctor
> is going to be writing freeform notes about the patient, and I don't
> see how the doctor is supposed to do that on an iPad.  If it's at all
> slower than handwriting, it's more cost effective to have him write on
> paper and have someone else transcribe it.  I have seen iPhone
> styluses, and maybe you could write something that would allow the
> doctor to make picklist type choices, plus e-ink that gets transcribed
> (for now) by a human.

  All Apple has to do is go into their vaults and pull out the source code
for the Newton's handwriting recognition.  By the time Jobs pulled the plug
[2] on it, the handwriting recognition was pretty good, and it could always
be tweaked for the individual user.

  -spc (Oh wait!  How about we implant an RFID chip in doctors, and an RFID
	reader in the iPad?  That would be secure, no?)

[1]	There's a scene in "War Games" where David is waiting to see the
	principal and when left alone, is able to snag the secretary's
	password because she wrote it down.

[2]	Because it wasn't his "baby."  [3] He managed to piss off a lot of
	people when he did that.

[3]	Neither was the Macintosh at first, but the higher ups at Apple
	pulled Jef Raskin [4] off that project and gave it to Jobs to get
	Jobs out of the way.

[4]	Whose initial view of the Macintosh was even *more* of an appliance
	than what came out in January of 1984.