[FoRK] Some iPad suggestions

HK Pang hkpang at gmail.com
Fri May 7 13:29:08 PDT 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not easy to do these things, or at least not trivial.
>
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:31 AM, HK Pang <hkpang at gmail.com> wrote:
> > But there are couple things that I find iPad pretty annoying:
> >
> > 1) Why isn't there a full keyboard? It's pretty annoying to keep shifting
> > keyboard pages for numeric keys and other frequently used symbols. In
> > landscape mode, the iPad can certainly accomodate a few more keys.
> >
> > 2) Why ain't there any cursor keys? It's nearly impossible to place the
> > cursor in between words when you need to make a correction. I usually
> have
> > to re-type the whole word over again.
> >
> > 3) Why isn't traditional Chinese input supported? Is Apple going to drop
> the
> > 30-50 million potential customers living in Taiwan/Hongkong/etc? The same
> > thing is available in iTouch and iPhone, I'm surprised Apple tried to do
> > this.
> >
> > 4) Why isn't more effort made to improve chinese handwriting input? Right
> > now, you can only enter one chinese character at a time.

With the exception of #4, is it really that hard to do the first 3? I
understand that Apple can omit /alter features to give them more marketing
advantages. But I fail to see the rationale of not making keyboard entry a
little easier. Right now, iPad is pretty useless in an office setting
unless your job is to qa iPad apps.