[FoRK] Year-on-year netbook sales fall off a cliff

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun May 9 17:41:39 PDT 2010

On 5/7/10 7:57 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:

> --- On Fri, 5/7/10, Jeremy Apthorp<nornagon at nornagon.net>  wrote:
>

>>> Less than a year ago, the netbook market was growing
>>>
>> at a whopping 641% percent year-over-year. But in April,
>> that growth slowed to just 5%, following month-over-month
>> growth rate declines dating back to November of last year.
>>
>> Even as someone who embraces the iPad and all its quirks, these stats
>> floored me. I thought the iPad and the netbook filled different use
>> cases? Maybe there's some other reason for this dramatic drop in
>> netbook sales.
>>

> Or maybe the netbook was a temporary substitute until what they really wanted/needed came along?
>
>   ...ken...

"A light-weight computer-like thing (browsing, some apps) that doesn't
run Windows and costs less than $600 or so."  I agree, drawing a large
distinction between devices is lost on many actual users: Some because
they are not tech savvy, others because they are functionally motivated
and tech-flexible.  For most people, we're pretty far along a
convergence where all of the features of a "computer" amount to
"full-featured fast web browser with portability, great interface, good
battery life, and reasonable cost".  Make it waterproof and hard to
break or cheap to fix, add some peripherals, plus a little better local
processing, and they're done.

Stephen