[FoRK] Year-on-year netbook sales fall off a cliff

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Sun May 9 19:09:53 PDT 2010

--- On Sun, 5/9/10, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> > --- On Fri, 5/7/10, Jeremy Apthorp<nornagon at nornagon.net> wrote:
> >

> >> Even as someone who embraces the iPad and all its quirks, these stats
> >> floored me. I thought the iPad and the netbook filled different use
> >> cases? Maybe there's some other reason for this dramatic drop in
> >> netbook sales.
> >>

> > Or maybe the netbook was a temporary substitute until
> > what they really wanted/needed came along?
> >
> >   ...ken...
> >

> "A light-weight computer-like thing (browsing, some apps)
> that doesn't run Windows and costs less than $600 or
> so."  I agree, drawing a large distinction between
> devices is lost on many actual users: ... [snip]...
>
> Stephen

Just so. Technology has been both my vocation and avocation for the past three and a half decades. The distinctions matter. To me. But my wife isn't the least bit shy to point out that it's all really hair-splitting of the worst sort.

To her, and even to my daughter who has grown up with the technology all around her and is pretty literate (thanks to Dad making sure she had acess to whatever, whenever), computers are all just another kind of toaster or dishwasher. And at this juncture still really badly designed, the iPod/Phone/Pad notwithstanding.

As an aside, my daughter does admit that her iPod Touch (iPhone without the phone) is [barely] verging on usefulness and usability. It has become for her slightly more than just the toy her iPod was.

          ...ken...