[FoRK] Year-on-year netbook sales fall off a cliff

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Sun May 9 19:30:49 PDT 2010

Pretty strong case that the meme that the iPad is killing netbooks is bunk.

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2010/05/06/sorry-but-the-ipad-is-not-killing-netbook-sales.aspx

"Microsoft's data—based on unit sales for its operating systems in the
first quarter—indicate that laptops in the $550 to $850 range grew
faster than the 35% year-over-year growth in overall Windows unit
sales to consumers,"

"market-researcher NPD suggest netbooks remain extremely popular in
the U.S., with sales growing 81% in January compared with the same
month in 2009, 73% in February and 48% in March."

"IDC is now forecasting that "mininotebook" (i.e. netbooks and
sub-12-inch machines) will sell 45.6 million units in 2011 and 60.3
million in 2013. "