[FoRK] Diaspora

Sean Conner sean at conman.org
Tue May 18 00:47:47 PDT 2010

It was thus said that the Great Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo once stated:
> --- On Tue, 5/18/10, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > For the record I started using usenet sometime in the early 80's. In 1984 I became one of the earliest members of Fidonet
> >
> > Fido was so far ahead of the times both in terms of doing cool things
> > with common tools, a sort of open sort[1] of distributed set up, and
> > the tragedy of the commons along with the high drama of the guardians
> > etc etc etc. Very cool stuff that was and is inspiring even now.
>
> Lots of cool tools. I think the mail readers were even ahead of what was
> available for usenet at the time. And it was way cool to be able to
> actually attach files rather than having to uuencode them.

  Attaching files in email?  Isn't that what FTP is for? [1][2]

  -spc (Who misses having a public /27 routed to his house ... )

[1]	I'm being half-serious here.  In the early 90s, if I wanted to send
	a file to someone, I sent an email telling the person to obtain the
	file via FTP.  But this was back in the day when everything was pure
	peer-to-peer on the Internet (no NAT).  I mean, if you got email,
	you were on the Internet.

	Heck, even if you weren't you were on UUCP and that included a
	method of transfering files in addition to email.  So attaching
	files to email was rather ... unusual (okay, maybe for short files
	using uuencode/uudecode).

[2]	You do know that you can transfer files between two FTP servers via
	commands from a single FTP client?  Yeah, the protocol is pretty
	messy to support these days due to NATting issues, but it can do
	some pretty cool things ...