[FoRK] Enterprise software development: Do we have an age problem?

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Mon May 24 10:18:38 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo
<ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> This is kind of related to a sub-theme or the recent thread about the hype (or not) of exotic programming languages. Perhaps I should dust off my old COBOL manuals and go top up my pension income...
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/enterprise-software-development-do-we-have-an-age-problem/34892?tag=nl.e539
>
> Are the best and brightest even going into CompSci these days?

The ones that are don't want to waste their lives with enterprise
bullshit, by and large. Whether you're in the game for the huge exits
(Google, Facebook) or to build the satisfying small, sustainable
businesses (37signals, tons of App Store folks),
end-user/non-enterprise software is the way to go.

Luis