[FoRK] Enterprise software development: Do we have an age problem?

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Mon May 24 10:33:31 PDT 2010

Current employer is actively recruiting and training CS graduates to
work on mainframes; we're also developing mainframe tools that look
more like Windows/Unix tools, promoting mainframe-related courses at
colleges, etc.

Even in the non-mainframe area, we've started hiring recent grads to
work as consultants on our project-portfolio management software
(pilot program; may be expanded to other products) and it doesn't get
much more "enterprise" than PPM.  This is a huge change here, since
we've traditionally concentrated on hiring experienced staff.

I'm sure that the prospect on working on mainframe software is
initially less appealing to many CS grads than working for Google or a
startup, but neither one has a monopoly on interesting and rewarding
work (or boring/mind-numbing corporate cultures).

Ken Meltsner