[FoRK] Enterprise software development: Do we have an age problem?

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon May 24 10:48:09 PDT 2010

On May 24, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> This is kind of related to a sub-theme or the recent thread about the hype (or not) of exotic programming languages. Perhaps I should dust off my old COBOL manuals and go top up my pension income...
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/enterprise-software-development-do-we-have-an-age-problem/34892?tag=nl.e539

In my experience, most "enterprise software development" is godawful soul-destroying tedium. I can easily understand why a motivated 20-something CS grad would have little interest in it. Give them a few years to become disillusioned first.

> Are the best and brightest even going into CompSci these days?

The best and brightest only occasionally "go into" CS, many of them seem to arrive there incidentally.

I've noticed that a significant portion of the really sharp theoretical computer science people I run into are cross-overs from a science or engineering discipline and never had a proper CS education. I wonder how much of that is a selection effect and how much of that is a reflection of the state of CS as an educational discipline.  If a particular field of study produces a statistically noticeable number of experts in an unrelated field, it raises interesting questions about the manner in which experts in a field are produced.