[FoRK] Enterprise software development: Do we have an age problem?

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Mon May 24 18:41:33 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo
<ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> --- On Mon, 5/24/10, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:

>> > Why is it "the way to go" versus enterprise software development? (Genuinely interested ... it's a pretty emphatic statement.)
>

>> Off the top of my head, from my experience in enterprise development
>> and sales: (there are of course exceptions to all of these, but they
>> are exceptions.)
>>
>> 1) popularity factor- in the consumer space, your friends and family
>> might actually use your software; you're lucky in the enterprise space
>> if they've heard of you, much less use it.
>>
>> 2) cutting edge factor: enterprise rarely is willing to pay for
>> actually pathbreaking stuff; they want tried and true, hopefully tried
>> by someone else. So if you want to work with the most interesting,
>> cutting-edge development environment, enterprise is unlikely to be
>> satisfactory.
>>
>> 3) unpleasant customer factor- if your most unpleasant/least clueful
>> customer is paying you $29.99 (or $0.99 in app store, or $0 in web
>> space) you can walk away from them. If your most unpleasant/least
>> clueful customer is paying you hundreds of thousands or millions of
>> dollars, you have to suck it up.
>>

> Good points. So they like notoriety, cherry-picking simple, or at least non-complex, apps and don't like to deal with people or problems or people's problems. Like to avoid the challenges of major complexity, the need for reliability and really serious problem-solving.

I can safely say that anyone who thinks that delivering world-class
end-user facing software is easy and does not require serious problem
solving has never delivered world-class end-user facing software. :)

(And to think that when I re-subscribed I thought I promised myself
I'd stay out of the flamewars...)
Luis