[FoRK] Videos of talks / presentations considered harmful (and other peeves)

Jim Whitehead ejw at cs.ucsc.edu
Tue May 25 01:51:18 PDT 2010

I gave a talk a few years ago at Google, and they recorded it and posted
it to Google video. This talk was based on a paper that was presented at
the 2007 Int'l Conference on Software Engineering (not recorded).

The video is here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7802818288058377867&q=jim+whitehead&hl=en#

The paper is here:
http://users.soe.ucsc.edu/~ejw/papers/Kim-Predicting.pdf

Watching the video takes about an hour. Reading the paper requires
longer (but could be skimmed faster).

In this case, I'd claim there is definite value-ad to the video (even
though this is far from being my best-delivered talk). The main
advantage of the talk format is that it provides the narrative flow of
the paper in a more condensed form, and focuses on the main results
(leaving the details to the paper).

- Jim