[FoRK] Time Asymmetry of Government: Terminal Stage Approaching

Bill Stoddard wgstoddard at gmail.com
Fri May 28 09:14:10 PDT 2010

On 5/28/10 11:53 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:
> On May 28, 2010, at 10:09 AM, Jim Whitehead wrote:
>

>> I agree that no human institution lasts forever. But, Ridley's book, from what I understand, is making a stronger argument: no governmental institution lasts forever *and* the end is near for our government. I was addressing my comments to the more controversial part, that the end is near. I don't buy it.
>>
> Clearly if the former is true, the second is true;  government institutions are human institutions.  Re:  the end being "near" --- that depends on the meaning of "end" and "near."  I suspect that you are taking a rather rigid interpretation of both;  my read of the article, which may admittedly be a bit generous, is that "end" means "changed significantly" and "near" means "cannot maintain current state without such change for much longer, i.e., within the order of a generation."

Reminded of the quote  'The market can remain irrational for longer than
you can remain solvent.'

However, if you believe peak oil is near and that the downward slope of
the decline after peak is steep as some have suggested, then lots of fun
changes lie just 'round the corner.  The tea party people may take over,
and they may more closely resemble Mao than Rand in their statist
proclivities.  Stay tuned...