[FoRK] Paper vs Digital maps -- tip of an iceberg?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun May 30 11:51:56 PDT 2010

On 5/30/10 10:04 AM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> This article raises both tactical and strategic questions.
>
>     Small-picture: are GPS personal navigation devices really any better than paper maps or even directions provided by a human bean?
>
>     Bigger-picture: does the existence of digital maps, GPS navigation devices, PC-based and cloud-based applications herald the end of paper maps as cartographers ramp up their digital products and damp down the availability of paper options?
>
>     Even-bigger-picture: the whole question of digital *versus* analog ... is digital really better than analog in all things? ... in all ways? Are we losing something by immediately jettisoning analog as soon as a digital version becomes available? Should we be working harder on finding a balance (e.g. is there a useful balance? what is the balance in a particular area? etc?)?
>
>          ...ken...
>
> http://www.miller-mccune.com/culture-society/dont-throw-away-your-paper-maps-just-yet-11077/?utm_source=Newsletter101&utm_medium=email&utm_content=0323&utm_campaign=newsletters
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yf6whqq
>
> ***
>
> March 22, 2010
>
> Don’t Throw Away Your Paper Maps Just Yet

I just had a discussion with my daughter and her friend about this
yesterday.  They stated that they "didn't know how" to use a paper map.
I pointed out that they should, and that it is more useful in many cases
for the stated reasons: seeing where you are, getting an understanding
of the whole geography, finding interesting destinations.  However,
Google Maps and Earth provide a much better interface than paper maps,
at least if you have a big enough monitor: Cell phones: not really,
iPad: just barely, 30" 4Mpixel monitor: Absolutely.

Too bad Maps/Earth don't have aviation maps and plates yet, with 3D
airways and airspaces even.

Stephen