[FoRK] Paper vs Digital maps -- tip of an iceberg?

Marty Halvorson marty at halvorson.us
Sun May 30 14:59:26 PDT 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
"   Small-picture: are GPS personal navigation devices really any better
than paper maps or even directions provided by a human bean?"

No.

"   Bigger-picture: does the existence of digital maps, GPS navigation
devices, PC-based and cloud-based applications herald the end of paper
maps as cartographers ramp up their digital products and damp down the
availability of paper options?"

I make good use of digital mapping.  But only sitting at home when I
want to discover the topology, roads, and any other features of
interest.  Just last night, I used Google satellite and Street Atlas USA
to make 2 paper maps so someone could find a person of interest.

"   Even-bigger-picture: the whole question of digital *versus* analog
... is digital really better than analog in all things? ... in all ways?
Are we losing something by immediately jettisoning analog as soon as a
digital version becomes available? Should we be working harder on
finding a balance (e.g. is there a useful balance? what is the balance
in a particular area? etc?)?"

Digital is not always better.  It is however a lot more convenient than
the analog equivalent.  And I suspect that's the reason for everything
becoming digital.

Peace
Marty Halvorson