[FoRK] Paper vs Digital maps -- tip of an iceberg?

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Sun May 30 17:23:44 PDT 2010

On May 30, 2010, at 6:11 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:

> --- On Sun, 5/30/10, Marty Halvorson <marty at halvorson.us> wrote:
>>
>> Digital is not always better.  It is however a lot
>> more convenient than the analog equivalent.  And I
>> suspect that's the reason for everything becoming digital.
>>

> Hi Marty,
>
> "Convenient" in what respect?

Entire western hemisphere in my pocket.  How much storage space would be necessary for the paper equivalent.

I do agree, actually, with the "display area" argument.  It's essentially a special case of the "form factor is the application" argument.  Physical constraints dictate certain things about how certain tasks may be optimally accomplished.

$0.02,

jb