[FoRK] Paper vs Digital maps -- tip of an iceberg?

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Mon May 31 23:53:23 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Dave Kammeyer <kammeyer at kammeyer.org> wrote:
[...]
> You can also use an electronic map to easily do things that are
> difficult with a paper map.  If you ever do any driving in Europe,
> road signs are often nonexistent, too small to read from a car, or in
> a foreign alphabet.  Hearing the GPS tell me to "Turn left in 200
> meters" is huge in a city like Istanbul where there are very few
> legible signs, and it's all you can do to keep the other motorists
> from smashing into you.

Yes, it's a pity that the most compelling scenarios for computerised,
connected mapping are those where your network connectivity tends to
cost you unsustainable amounts of cash. My heart sinks and my wallet
quivers whenever I have to go into iPhone -> Preferences -> Network ->
enable roaming. Mostly due to the uncertainty, you've no idea whether
two minutes playfully zooming around the map will cost you the price
of a bus ticket, or a 3 course lunch. So of course I grin and bear it,
much like I did 15 years ago with UK phone dialup costs, because
things will likely get cheaper. But it's such a waste of an amazing
device, having users cringe when using the network to help explore new
places. Maybe caching will provide a stopgap answer...?

cheers,

Dan