[FoRK] What the Battle is About

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu Jun 3 06:03:56 PDT 2010

Cf.

  http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2010/05/what_the_battle.html

Haven't read Brooks' book yet;  now pushed to head of priority queue.

Have read Kling's book;  his sense that knowledge is becoming more dispersed while power becoming more concentrated resonates nicely with my own mess of tentative hypotheses about present-day society.  Intuitively the former to me seems to be a likely pressure for more decentralization of authority and more local autonomy, yet the trend on both very-recent and longer-term timescales seems to have run counter to that.  This tension to me seems at once paradoxical and dangerous.

$0.02,

jb