[FoRK] Chart of the Day...

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Jun 7 13:32:03 PDT 2010

On 6/7/10 4:54 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 11:27:53PM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:
>

>> That's what you owe, at present, more or less.
>>
>> Time is money.  Money is time.
>>
> Anecdotally I've observed some young people don't see much point
> into becoming productive members of the society, and being
> taxed for the sins of their forefathers for their pains.
> So they more or less consciously choose to become slackers.
>
> Can anyone confirm/deny such data points in your field of vision?

Few of the 18-30 year olds I'm familiar with seem to have any thought of
taxes, spending, deficit, etc.  It's not on their radar at all.  They
couldn't care less to think about the world at a macro level like that,
other than, during the end of the Bush II era: "America sucks because
people in other countries hate us, I want to live in another country as
an adult."  I've seen various combinations and development paths of:

    * Not ready to build for the future / career.
    * Want to pursue whatever strikes them as fun or easy regardless of
      upside / low ceiling.
    * Dreading spending to many years in school.
    * End-of-high-school hangover of school of any kind and dreading and
      not really engaging in college on the first pass.
    * Want to have fun and explore new freedoms for a while before
      becoming serious.
    * Irresistibly drawn, on a daily basis, to hang out and "have fun"
      (i.e. drink or drive fast) with friends to impress each other and
      the opposite sex.
    * Plan to become an entrepreneur instead of going to college, but
      with little training.
    * Want to become a rock star or artist but don't think its necessary
      to learn much formally or work very hard.
    * Directly attack college but not really have an understanding of
      what career type might make you happy.

I suppose I knew that teenagers were frequently tone-deaf to most things
that adults told them during their childhood-cocoon emergence period.
However, being unusually precocious and independent myself in many ways,
I have had to drastically adjust my expectations of how much wisdom
about the world you can pass on to children directly.  In many ways,
they just have to live through mistaken paths to really understand what
you have been teaching and warning them about.  I had a few handicaps in
terms of the other parent, etc., however it was still annoying.