[FoRK] Chart of the Day...

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Mon Jun 7 15:30:46 PDT 2010

--- On Mon, 6/7/10, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> I suppose I knew that teenagers were frequently tone-deaf
> to most things that adults told them during their
> childhood-cocoon emergence period.  ...

Funny, even at my advanced age I can still remember the blissful ignorance of all those ulcer-producing issues as a teenager/very young adult.

> ... However, being
> unusually precocious and independent myself in many ways, I
> have had to drastically adjust my expectations of how much
> wisdom about the world you can pass on to children
> directly.

There is an old saw about how much smarter your parents get as you get older. When I was a young adult and experiencing the geometrically increasing intelligence and wisdom of my parents, the period of our parents' giant leap in smartness was generally experienced in early to mid-20s. I don't think it's much different now. I recall my daughter (now 30) observing a similar phenomenon with respect to her mother and I when she was about 25 or so.

        ...ken...