[FoRK] Chart of the Day...

owen at permafrost.net owen at permafrost.net
Mon Jun 7 20:35:45 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 07:57:19PM -0700, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> --- On Mon, 6/7/10, owen at permafrost.net <owen at permafrost.net> wrote:
>

> > > You are clearly still not paying attention. You work
> > for them instead of the other way around because they are
> > doing something different and/or differently than you are.
> > Sure, they may be working harder but that's not usually the
> > difference (unless you are truly a slacker).
> > >
> > >         ...ken...
> >
> > Well, I don't really want to share my nightmare too much.
> > Currently I'm a Canadian immigrant in the US, which basically means by law I have to work for someone else, until I get a green card.
> > Owen
> >

> No need for personal stuff. Yes, regulations require you to work for someone else. They do not require that you work for bozos. Or - respectfully - are you so good that any boss would be a bozo? Or in such a restricted field that the opportunities to avoid bozo bosses is severely limited?
>
> The regulations also do not restrict you from seeking promotion, which brings us right back to my original comment ... simply working harder is almost never a recipe for advancement.
>
> Or you could simply move back to Canada. At least out west here, there are loads of opportunities to become a soloist. Or a chief bozo.
>
>          ...ken...
This is mildly good advice. Restricted field? I'm 49 years old, co-founded a major website (digg.com), mostly a web-developer (which is a twenty-something field). High volume, open source, unix LAMP websites (also a restricted field).
There's a gazillion websites out there, only a few of which lie at the intersection of high volume/open source and LAMP.

Hire me. Sponsor me for a green card (believe me, you don't know the nightmare involved with that).

Canada is looking better every day.
Owen