[FoRK] Chart of the Day...

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Jun 8 22:02:21 PDT 2010

On 6/8/10 7:28 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2010, at 4:08 PM, Frank Hegyesi wrote:
>

>> Also most of your tax money goes to the federal entitlements of Social
>> Security and Medicare
>>
> Yes, and...?
>
> As demographic trends continue, how much sense does it make for the young to continue to bust ass for the overly-entitled old?  How much of the total available productivity will productive society tolerate being being confiscated and allocated to the no-longer productive?

Especially annoying trends since most of them did not take care of
themselves, smoked, didn't exercise, etc.

I wonder if the solution, probably in the distant future, is guaranteed
reasonably priced housing / healthcare / etc. through some mechanism
that doesn't generate its own gigantic money sink.  In a hand-wavy
sense, providing good, distributed living resources with economy of
scale and commercial competition.  You would have to have strong
built-in competition and "refactoring" and refresh frequently to avoid
something like "the projects" result.  Roughly what we need for housing
in general in some areas.

> I think that's the point Adam was making.
>
> Re:  half, as others have pointed out, when all-in it doesn't take much to get past half going to some governmental entity or another, in one way or another.

With children and a mortgage, it would be hard to be over half.  Single
and no write-offs, different story I suppose.