[FoRK] Chart of the Day...

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Wed Jun 9 05:27:50 PDT 2010

On Jun 8, 2010, at 10:55 PM, Frank Hegyesi wrote:

> Adam wrote: "... they already take half my stuff to give to the poor."
>
> That was his point Jeff.

That was his statement, taken completely w/o all the surrounding context.  Not the same as his point, necessarily;  which was my point.

> Nice try on the bait and switch.

Actually not an attempt to bait and switch, more to refine and clarify.  Adam is free to correct me himself, but:  we were discussing two different classes of "poor" without being particularly precise.  We were discussing those who choose to not produce and hence include themselves in the handouts, as well as (separately) those who receive the handouts because they simply are or can no longer be (as) productive.  The latter class is growing inexorably, in this country at least, due to economic, political, and demographic trends that Adam and others already touched on.  I was merely attempting to draw a necessary distinction between those two classes that was previously left ambiguous.

Nice try on the editorial, though. ;-)

jb