[FoRK] Chart of the Day...

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Wed Jun 9 12:26:48 PDT 2010

Jeff Bone wrote on 6/9/2010 4:44 AM:
> Not so, but this provides a nice teachable moment. Don't forget that
> with incomes taxes and witholding, particularly witholding to fund
> entitlements, a big chunk is gone before you even have it to spend on
> mortages, kids, etc. Then factor in e.g. a non-scaled AMT, then all the
> usual state and local property, income, sales, one-off licensing and
> registration, double-dipping for the use of already publicly-funded
> services and resources, and other taxes and I'd hazard a guess that a
> surprising percentage of the population is over 40% already. Close
> enough to half for government work. ;-)

Yup, I have the math and pie chart all worked out for California
starting with the employer costs, not your pay stub. I haven't worked
the full cycle yet, where you also have to include corporate taxes and
fees so you get the full money cycle of widget on the shelf bought by an
employee of Widget Inc, but one of these days there is a neat website
there. The trick is that they take piles of the money away before the
employee even sees it as pay, then they take another pile. That's just
the start... then you get started on the long list of property taxes,
vehicle taxes, sales tax, dozens of "fees" (not a tax, yup yup),
chopping slice after slice off what you think you got paid. Half is
trivial, and remarkably uniform worldwide - you're free to leave the
county, but you can't leave the farm. Kids and deductions can help, but
the only thing that actually helps is being poor (insert mortgage and
kids joke here).

Why does anyone live in California? Holy taxes and fees batman, on top
of the insane cost of living. Which is why the rich have been fleeing en
mass for years.

Frank Hegyesi wrote on 6/8/2010 2:08 PM:
 > Also most of your tax money goes to the federal entitlements of Social
 > Security and Medicare, then the military..

As for the young lazy by choice and poor by circumstance, compared to
the old - social security, pensions, and medi* programs ... why would
you separate them? They are all a cost the productive class must carry,
and no longer can. There is no way to make the math work, so it all must
go. This phase of the experiment is over.

Longer term in a world where no matter what you do 1,000 people and 10
different robots are qualified and waiting in line for your job, a job
will no longer pay much above survival costs. Exponential breeding meets
exponential productivity and automation. The resulting social
clusterfunk will be interesting to watch. I have my own view of where
this is headed for another time...

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/