[FoRK] Chart of the Day...

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jun 10 02:32:11 PDT 2010

On 6/9/10 4:44 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2010, at 0:02, "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if the solution, probably in the distant future, is
>> guaranteed reasonably priced housing / healthcare / etc. through some
>> mechanism that doesn't generate its own gigantic money sink.
>
> All ears.

Cheap land in good climates and/or close to power, economy of scale
purchases of infrastructure, beeline long-haul transportation to a metro
area, guaranteed baseline in return for some contribution: time, money,
etc.  Chopped up into fractal blocks that are run like a business with
those that go "bankrupt" fast tracked into new management, etc.  Create
an ecosystem of support, entertainment, education, medicine, etc.  Even
support competitive manufacturing (fast-tracked and/or leaned in various
ways), call centers, or anything else that can be in-sourced.  Make it a
special trade zone where immigrants can spend a certain amount of time
working at a wage similar to where they came from to earn a path to
citizenship, etc.

If you start where the land is essentially free, bootstrap on various
initiatives that need space, attention, people, then provide a market,
expedited rules in every sense, and basically combine competitive
feedback with direct support for initiatives with immediate economic
payback, it could be interesting.

Even, if you just found a way to make a significant percentage of the
people in prison more productive during and after incarceration, you'd
be way ahead.

> Tempted to point out that a perpetual motion machine would solve all
> our energy woes, too... ;-)

For some purposes, we already have that: Sun, nuclear, wind, etc.
Boring, next problem. ;-)

> Here's the thing:  there will be no such thing as "post-scarcity" in
> the physical world, no matter what technology develops, because
> scarcity is relative and resources are finite.

I disagree.  We're already in a post-scarcity world in a lot of ways.
Clothing for instance:  Not fashion per se, that is the compelling need
to constantly spend at the limit as often as possible to ride the wave.
But functional clothing is practically free.  $15 for shoes that should
last at least 6 months.  $3-10 for shirts and pants, etc.  Not to
mention recycled clothing that is often free.  They did a clothing swap
at Maker's Faire for instance.

Internet bandwidth is getting there.  (And is in Mountain View and most
public libraries.)  Information.  A shower of cast-off gadgets.

> You could probably provide some cost-effective baseline existence by
> uploading those folks who can't or won't be productive in vivo, but
> even the maitenance of their existence in simulo has a cost in terms
> of substrate resources, energy, and compute cycles that could be
> directed otherwise.  Short of some Tipler-esque magic trick, that is.
>
> Don't get me wrong: I'm not suggesting that technology won't continue
> to improve the mean standard of living beyond anything we can likely
> imagine, assuming we dodge the various existential risks. But absent
> some changes in human nature it won't "cure" want, envy, and some
> notion of poverty.

Of course not.  However, a lot of angst and inefficiency goes into
meeting the demands of various local living costs, requirements, etc.
that is out of whack with what should be required.