[FoRK] Chart of the Day...

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu Jun 10 04:25:59 PDT 2010

On Jun 10, 2010, at 4:32, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> For some purposes, we already have that: Sun, nuclear, wind, etc.
> Boring, next problem. ;-)

We have limitless nuclear fuel here on earth?  The planet and solar
system willl last forever?

Think long-term.  ;-)

> I disagree.  We're already in a post-scarcity world in a lot of ways.

We are in a post-scarcity world by yesterday's standards.  My point is
that the bar is raised constantly.  For example, we now perceive the
conditions our granparents were born into to be below certain measures
of poverty.

Coupled with finite resources, this guarantees that what we think of
as post-scarcity today will not meet commonplace expectations about
standards of living tomorrow, regardless of any technological
advances.  "Have-not" is relative, and will be with us indefinitely.
(e.g.:  how long before "unlimited" continuous network connectivity,
unbounded access to life-perpetuating medical care, etc. are
considered mandatory entitlements for all persons?)

My point in this is straightforward: focus on equalizing outcomes is a
losing proposition, and always will be. Any notion of "social justice"
built on that assumption is pollyanna and flawed.

$0.02,

jb