[FoRK] Chart of the Day...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jun 10 09:17:13 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 03:23:11AM -0700, Adam L Beberg wrote:

> Just looking at the numbers for debt and such, it's hard to tell Greece
> and the USA apart. We just have the massive inflow of Mexican colonists
> and if we get enough of them and their many children making $3/hour the
> rest of us can retire on Social Security just fine right ;)

I don't think this retirement thing is going to last any much longer,
even for those retired a whole while ago. Well, it was fun for
the 1-2 generations it lasted. My parents still act all shellshocked.

Unless you've got your own nest egg, off the record, and nonconfiscable.
Home owners clear of debt might see a surprise coming. As long as
you own something of value which can be taken you're extortable.

Unfortunately the threshold to diversify into other geographic localities
is too high for 80%+ of the population. Presumably, some of you here
are better prepared than most. What's your favorite hedge recipe?

> Don't worry, Ug99 or one of it's relatives will fix the problem soon.

Not necessarily, though precipitation shifts and petro-derived product
pricing will bring famine again within touching distance of 2+ gigapeople
within the next 10-20 years. The poor are always screwed.

Everybody is too busy tackling their pathetic litle crisises to address
the actual issue of shifting our infrastructure to sustainable/renewable
within 20-30 years. That's where annual ~terabuck budgets should be.

Pass the popcorn, this show is going to get real good.