[FoRK] Why is a carbon tax off the table?

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Thu Jun 10 10:00:56 PDT 2010

Carbon tax is off the political table because the political class gains very
little power from it, whereas a cap-and-trade system allocates a lot of
decision making power to the political class in deciding who gets what
carbon allocations allocated to them and who has to buy them.

With trading systems, someone decides who gets what rights-to-pollute, which
can subsequently be traded for cash. Thats a lot of political clout.

With a carbon tax, all you get is cash in exchange for screams of pain.