[FoRK] Chart of the Day...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jun 10 12:47:10 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 02:32:11AM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:

> Cheap land in good climates

Yeah! Most revolutions start that way. Exprrropriate the exprrroprrrriators.
Fusillate the bashturds. No pasaran.

> and/or close to power,

Power comes out of the barrel of the gun. Oh, you mean that other kind of power.
Well, we've run out of cheap power (and soon, related chemical feedstock).
Now we have two problems: cheap power, and synthetics from thin air.

(Did I said two? Three, three problems. Start stockpiling your piss).

> economy of scale  purchases of infrastructure,

Infrastructure is one thing: damn expensive. It is another: takes
a long time to build. Provided plenty of jobs, though, and all local.
But where's the money? We seem to have pissed it all away on coke
and hookers, and now woken up in the gutter full of puke and glass shards.

> beeline long-haul transportation to a metro

Yeah, rail. Extra bonus if electrified. See infrastructure.

> area, guaranteed baseline in return for some contribution: time, money,
> etc.  Chopped up into fractal blocks that are run like a business with
> those that go "bankrupt" fast tracked into new management, etc.  Create
> an ecosystem of support, entertainment, education, medicine, etc.  Even
> support competitive manufacturing (fast-tracked and/or leaned in various
> ways), call centers, or anything else that can be in-sourced.  Make it a
> special trade zone where immigrants can spend a certain amount of time
> working at a wage similar to where they came from to earn a path to
> citizenship, etc.

Sounds good, but if you can't lick the peak energy, peak synthetics,
peak food and peak (some) minerals that's going to be difficult. Particularly,
in an eloi society who outsourced everything to morlocks.

> If you start where the land is essentially free, bootstrap on various
> initiatives that need space, attention, people, then provide a market,
> expedited rules in every sense, and basically combine competitive
> feedback with direct support for initiatives with immediate economic
> payback, it could be interesting.

How do you build this if everybody is fighting for what's left of
of fossil and minerals?

> Even, if you just found a way to make a significant percentage of the
> people in prison more productive during and after incarceration, you'd
> be way ahead.

Sounds like the California prison system. The major growth industry.
I'm sure it would all fit with Mad Max XVII somehow. Or Arnie, the Cimmerian.

> >Here's the thing:  there will be no such thing as "post-scarcity" in
> >the physical world, no matter what technology develops, because
> >scarcity is relative and resources are finite.
>
> I disagree.  We're already in a post-scarcity world in a lot of ways.

Who is this 'we', kemo sabe?

> Clothing for instance:  Not fashion per se, that is the compelling need
> to constantly spend at the limit as often as possible to ride the wave.
> But functional clothing is practically free.  $15 for shoes that should

If you've got morlocks working for you (violating any labor or
environmental code known to man and squirrel), maybe. To the morlocks
themselves... less so.

> last at least 6 months.  $3-10 for shirts and pants, etc.  Not to
> mention recycled clothing that is often free.  They did a clothing swap
> at Maker's Faire for instance.

Slowly put down your cornucopia horn, and put hands where we can see
them. You're describing a particular situation in particular space
and time. Elsewhere, it's waist-deep mud and misogyny. And mud weasels.

> Internet bandwidth is getting there.  (And is in Mountain View and most
> public libraries.)  Information.  A shower of cast-off gadgets.

Shipped to morlocks, to be burned in open pits, and the metals leached
by cyanide. But the fattened eloi are *so tasty*.