[FoRK] Why is a carbon tax off the table?

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Thu Jun 10 14:44:59 PDT 2010

Oh yeah - and with a carbon tax, for it to be effective, you would have to
impose carbon duties on imported goods, with a system of certifications to
avoid double taxation when importing from countries already imposing a
carbon tax.

Its unclear what the WTO would make of a carbon duty system.

OTOH - the "we will collect the carbon taxes you dont collect" aspect of the
system means that there are firm incentives for other countries to come into
the fold once a few countries start into such a system.