[FoRK] Chart of the Day...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jun 11 02:32:29 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 01:20:24AM -0700, Frank Hegyesi wrote:
> Thomas Malthus was screaming the sky was falling two hundred years ago:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Essay_on_the_Principle_of_Population
>
> I cannot help but think of Ecclesiastes 1

> You should look into some of the insane post Summer of Love texts that
> were around in the 70s like "The Late Great Planet Earth."
>
> The world has been ending due to exponential growth for thousands of
> years and we will all die next Tuesday.

Right! There's absolutely no reason to change anything at all.
We all are doing dandy, and have in fact completely decoupled
from the physical layer. We do not need food, we do not need
energy, we do not need scarce elements, we do not produce waste.
Sustainability is asserted for the lowly rice farmer or
the supermagnate. They all have exactly the same ecological
fingerprint: namely, zero.

Verily, we are like gods.

> BTW, we are not all guilty if we do not all procreate.

Or heavily invest into arms trade, WoMD division.