[FoRK] Malthusian machinations

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Fri Jun 11 12:26:26 PDT 2010

--- On Fri, 6/11/10, Dave Kammeyer <kammeyer at kammeyer.org> wrote:

> > Last bit: anybody catch the bit about wet-phase uranyl extraction from sea
> > water that made the rounds last week?That was one of the first things I've
> > seen in a while that makes me optimistic that the race against time can be
> > won w/o a serious die-back.
>
> Haven't seen it.  Can you provide a link?

http://peakoildebunked.blogspot.com/2006/01/207-uranium-from-seawater-part-1.html

I'm a bit puzzled how this helps. It's neither the cost nor availability of uranium that's holding back nuclear power development. It's the fact that we still, after decades, haven't figured out what the hell to do with the radioactive wastes. And the rather annoying consequences of incompetent operation.

As the article says, the cost of uranium is only a tiny factor in the cost of operating nuclear power plants and it is a plentiful substance even on land if we choose to go looking for more.

Enlightenment, Jeff???

 ...ken...