[FoRK] Malthusian machinations

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Fri Jun 11 12:39:20 PDT 2010

On Jun 11, 2010, at 13:56, Dave Kammeyer <kammeyer at kammeyer.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>>
>> Since Frank brought up Malthus, it's worth asking ouselves:  why
>> was Malthus
>> wrong? (So far, that is.)
>
> Malthus was wrong because children are a substitutable good.  Malthus
> thought that overall, people would have as many children as they could
> support, but they don't.  People really want sex, and sex requires an
> input of either children or birth control pills!

I think you have your inputs and outputs confused. ;-)  Well, hopefully.

Malthus missed the rate estimate, but it should be clear that the rate
is still problematic as long as it is over par, all other things being
equal.  His real failure wasn't that, though; it was the
aforementioned failure to anticipate carrying capacity increases.

jb