[FoRK] Malthusian machinations

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jun 11 13:44:50 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 02:39:20PM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:

> I think you have your inputs and outputs confused. ;-)  Well, hopefully.
>
> Malthus missed the rate estimate, but it should be clear that the rate
> is still problematic as long as it is over par, all other things being
> equal.  His real failure wasn't that, though; it was the
> aforementioned failure to anticipate carrying capacity increases.

Temporary increases. The ecology equivalent of economy debt. We borrowed
the power by burning the dead dinos, but now we're running into
diminishing returns. It's time to return to the original source.
It's good for another few gigayears, and enforcing ownership of
sunbeams is not that easy in practice.

We don't do this on time, we're finished. So I strongly suggest we do that.