[FoRK] Malthusian machinations

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jun 11 13:50:28 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 12:26:26PM -0700, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:

> http://peakoildebunked.blogspot.com/2006/01/207-uranium-from-seawater-part-1.html
>
> I'm a bit puzzled how this helps.

It doesn't, of course.

> It's neither the cost nor availability of uranium that's holding back nuclear power development.

If you build those 1000+ nuke plants by 2050 required to meet
the demand gap you will start running into peak U by 2040. Right
now plants run for 60 years, trend is longer. I suggest it's not
worth it. (Even if you could raise the ca$h, which you can't).

> It's the fact that we still, after decades, haven't figured out what
> the hell to do with the radioactive wastes.

That, too.

> And the rather annoying consequences of incompetent operation.

That, too.

> As the article says, the cost of uranium is only a tiny factor in the cost

Up to a point. Granite is an uranium ore, in theory. In practice, it isn't.
Not of you want to not only break even, but break even in a serious way.

> of operating nuclear power plants and it is a plentiful substance even on
> land if we choose to go looking for more.

It ain't plentiful unless it's nice, dark pitchblende. And we've ran out
of the really good stuff a while ago. eBay is not really a source.