[FoRK] Malthusian machinations

Sean Conner sean at conman.org
Fri Jun 11 16:50:23 PDT 2010

It was thus said that the Great Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo once stated:

> Re: waste disposal, yes, I misspoke. We in North America, at least, have
> not yet found a disposal method that meets with the acceptance of the
> masses. Nor have we found a way to assuage our mass fears of another Three
> Mile Island or Chernobyl.

  Hmm ... are there any other nuclear mishaps?  Can you name any other
nuclear mishaps on the scale of Three Mile Island/Chernobyl?  Any others of
any scale?

  And France---they get close to 80% of their energy needs from nuclear? How
do they do it without massive protests every other week?

> Worse; the costs to build are so horribly underestimated, so consistently
> and so visibly, that nobody trusts the word of those who want to build.
> Anyone who wants to do nukes for profit is a liar before s/he opens their
> mouth regardless of which part of the subject they are speaking about.

  I also heard that France standardized on two different designs.  Once you
do that, you start getting economies of scale (and a fix at one can be
applied at others).  Here in the States I believe that each nuclear plant
has a unique design.

  -spc

> In any case, none of these "solutions" -- not solar, nor wind, nor nuclear
> ... nor any method of static electrical generation, for that matter --
> addresses the real problem ... well, the problem associated with the issue
> Malthus raised. The technologies that have allowed for the temporary
> increases in carrying capacity are based on cheap and *portable* fuel with
> *high* energy density. Note the keys are portable and high energy density
> (you sorta need the latter for the former). We don't get that from the
> primary candidates to replace liquid hydrocarbons. You can replace coal
> with those alternatives. You can't replace oil and gas with them. At least
> not today. Nor is there anything practical in sight. Is there?

  Nuclear fission in the short term (we have that now).  Nuclear fusion when
we can work out the details.  Maybe even large scale solar panels in space
that beam energy down to earth.  I don't think anything else can scale.

  -spc (Would love to tell the Middle east where they can shove their
	oil ... )