[FoRK] Chart of the Day...

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jun 11 20:06:20 PDT 2010

On 6/11/10 7:05 PM, Jebadiah Moore wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Stephen D. Williams<sdw at lig.net>  wrote:
>

>> Our current system works well for the bulk of people, very well for some,
>> and terribly for others.
>>

> Not sure what counts as "well" in your book, or if you're talking
> specifically about the U.S. (and maybe developed countries in general) or
> the entire world.  But if it's the world, then about half live below $2.50 a
> day, which is well under the US poverty line.  In the US, the official stat
> is like 13% under the poverty line, in which case you might say it works
> well for the bulk.

I was referring to the US and 1st world in general there.  In any case,
as your story partially illustrates, the poverty line is a very rough
guideline.  On the other end, there are many in the US that make well
above the poverty line but are worse off than those below it.  Compare
someone making 4x (or something similar) poverty line in Manhattan with
someone making 1/2 the poverty line in a small rural town.  The latter
likely has a better life, depending on relative exposure and
participation in "enriching" activities.

> Unless you don't accept $2.50 as a threshold?  I mean, people can certainly
> live off that, obviously, and even be happy.
>
> Which reminds me of this story:
>
> An American tourist was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when
>
>> a small boat with just one fisherman docked.
>>

>> Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The tourist
>> complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it
>> took to catch them.

Yes.  And that's part of what I was suggesting be fostered more
deliberately.