[FoRK] Malthusian machinations

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Jun 12 09:53:42 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 04:47:47PM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:

> >What, exactly, is wrong with the solar constant?
>
> Did you miss the self-assembly part?

Self-assembly is cool. Plants can do it. We can't.
Yet. Plants however are useless that way, and
tapped to 30-50% already.

Self-assembly is only the maraschino on top. None of
our technology does self-assembly now, and we still
use it just fine.

CdTe thin-film now does what, 45:1 EROEI? It's a good start.

> Last time I checked we didn't have wet-phase assembly of solar cells.

Thin-film printing of nanoink on sheet metal or foil is
possible today. This is the technology we must use today
so that we can grow technology like redwoods one day.

There are no other options, anyway.

Let's do it now. Before it's too late.