[FoRK] Chart of the Day...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Jun 12 10:20:38 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 07:30:22PM -0400, Sean Conner wrote:
> It was thus said that the Great Jeff Bone once stated:
> >
> > It would be a major coup if we could merely feed everbody adequately
> > today... And that's not likely to get easier tomorrow without some
> > breakthroughs in energy, etc. --- which we may no longer be able to
> > invest in sufficiently before it's too late.
>
>   And here I thought that world hunger was more of a poltical problem (in
> that kleptocratic thugs that rule third world countries keep food from
> getting to their own people [1]) than a technical inability to grow enough
> food (in the Western industrialized nations).

Consider crop failure due to precipitation pattern shifts.
Consider soil destruction. Consider salination. Consider
fossil water depletion. Consider that nitrogen fixation
currently uses methane's energy and hydrogen. Consider that
we're facing peak phosphate. Consider that neonicotinics are
implied in pollinator demise.

So it's getting harder.

There are ways to address that, but they're not on most people's
radar yet.