[FoRK] Malthusian machinations

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Sat Jun 12 10:30:40 PDT 2010

On Jun 12, 2010, at 11:53, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> There are no other options, anyway.

I rarely disagree with you, Eugen, but I've got to call BS on this.

First, EROI doesn't tell the whole story:  you've got to factor in the
*cost* of the input units.  It will be different for different
technologies at different points along the way.

"All eggs in one basket" is rarely a good idea.

You want to keep the cities lit?  The path to 100% solar passes
through a nuke period. I don't see any way around it; ubiquitous
locally produced electricity is obviously far better, but the delta
between now and that is far greater than just swapping out centralized
sources.  Modulo the plant friction you mentioned, of course, but we
have far better technology these days.  We just don't have the will.

Re the wet phase stuff, read the paper.  There are some interesting
bits, there... I don't need to point out that we have vast experience
in large-scale industrial chemical engineering.  And the ligand
assembly / dissassembly helps the efficiency a lot relative to prior
efforts.

But like I said, I don't think any of this is sufficient to focus on
exclusively at this point.  Run the search in parallel.  With
competition.  For money.  Now.

$0.02

jb