[FoRK] Romer and ATN: charter cities go mainstream?

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Sun Jun 13 05:55:52 PDT 2010

On Jun 13, 2010, at 0:53, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> On 6/12/10 12:39 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>> http://www.cgdev.org/content/publications/detail/1423916
>>
>> via
>>
>> http://athousandnations.com/2010/06/10/paul-romer-mainstreams-the-let-a-thousand-nations-bloom-perspective-among-the-economic-development-establishment
>>

> Only partway into it, seems like a great meta-description of what I
> was just suggesting.  Interesting timing.

Which suggestion? :-P ;-) I doubt Romer's even considered anti-downer
Happyton.

Btw, it occurs to me that there's an easy and obvious implementation:
SSRIs in the public water supply...

Just teasing you, mostly.  The primary difference is in focus on means
vs ends.

Why do you think I've been peppering the list w ATN pointers a lot
this last year or so?  Lots of good bits knocking around there.  And
despite a few mild differences of opinion, Romer's definitely on my A-
list these days; imagine several folks around here might feel the
same.  He's got some real cred and swag. Nobody can seriously accuse
him of being some wacky Randite, tea bagger, or Free Stater. These
concepts have a life independent of such charged arenas, for good
reason, and are worthy of serious consideration.

Now here's a thought:  instead of the charter being held by either an
existing sovereignty or corporation per se, how about a voluntary
incorporated self-selected polity?  Starts to feel a bit
Stephensonesque.  In a promising way...

I wish the Reddit Island Project had a bit more vision and balls.

jb

PS -- Krugman said something recently that I think may be the first
thing he's said since Bush left office that's halfway sane. Can't find
the pointer, so paraphrasing:  he called the US federal government a
giant insurance company with a military division.  About right. Of
course, one that runs in a perpetual state of bankruptcy... And he
didn't seem to be nearly troubled enough by that insight...