[FoRK] Greenspun: let's stop investing in our kids

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Sun Jun 13 08:01:30 PDT 2010

On Jun 13, 2010, at 9:08, owen at permafrost.net wrote:

Given some familiarity with Greenspun, I suspect that his real point
is that entrepreneurship (and capital support thereof) may be more
valuable overall (including socially) than college at today's prices.

That's not an absurd point, considering the apparent
overrepresentation of dropout-founders in so many successful companies
in our industry.  Neither requires the other.

Or perhaps it is just:  education doesn't imply formal education.
Those motivated to do so will learn regardless of enviroment or
framework.  That's hard to argue with, too.

Or, finally, perhaps it is just this: given that educational costs
have risen faster than inflation and / or inflation-adjusted GDP,
while competitiveness vs the rest of the world has declined, perhaps
we should tip the sacred cow and ask: are we really getting our
money's worth? That, too, is a reasonable question.

jb