[FoRK] Pick-on-Eugen-Day: Pocket-sized NMR

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jun 14 03:21:55 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 02:03:53PM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Having already had my moment of gloating last year w/ the tweet-from-eeg
> bit defeating Eugen's previous assertions of untenability of *THAT* technology

Gloating is good. I should do it more often.

But I made no such prediction. What I said many times is that
machine intelligence bootstrap will happen sooner than human
augmentation by implants, because latter have to be high-bandwidth
and bidirectional, and hence invasive. Invasive as today cranial
surgery invasive. Which are under an ethical block.

Oh, and I would love if you'd gloat over that one. Because
then I'd be wrong, and I'd rather be very wrong on that.

> (and in fact happening quite a bit sooner than my own prediction) --- it seems like a good time to dig in on another front:
>
>   http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/06/07-tesla-magnet-with-very-even-field.html

As a chemist, I just came. A little. However, I'm still missing
those shoebox-sized 1 kUSD NMR machines I can order online.

P.S. I have a far too long list of those I-wish-sombobody-would-gloat-over-that
things.