[FoRK] Pick-on-Eugen-Day: Pocket-sized NMR

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jun 14 05:50:20 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 07:03:38AM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:

> As I recall the assertion was about the tenability of getting ASCII
> streams out of the human brain with low-cost non-invasive gear anytime
> soon... no?

Useful ASCII streams with a practical setup, yes. The problem is
scalp electrodes, which need fresh prepping and electrolyte gloop.
Electrode pincushions or implanted electrodes (especially, picking
up potentials from the exposed brain surface is a signal bonanza). It might
look like a small thing, but it's really the main issue blocking
progress in noninvasive EEG.

> Thought you'd enjoy the NMR bit. :-)

A ~kUSD NMR machine with USB output would definitely very disruptive
technology. Could even be useful for protein structure resolution,
if they jack up the Teslas a bit.