[FoRK] Malthusian machinations

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Jun 15 03:42:29 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 12:25:01AM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2010, at 18:40, Sean Conner <sean at conman.org> wrote:
>

> >   1. We have a lot of coal in this country.  It contains Thorium,
>
> +1, thorium very good, and *very* small, cheap, and safe Th reactors
> are essentially a done deal.

You think? I'll believe it when you can buy them as a commercial
product. So far, they're part of the nuclear failure. I don't think
they'll get a second chance. There's no longer time nor money for that.

Ditto fast breeders (and of course the main reason to use
thorium is to run it as a molten salt breeder).

> It is rather costly in terms of inputs to get, but not much more than
> host coal itself.

There's quite a lot of thorium out there, no need to hunt for
it in strange places.

> Everybody's picking at this solution or that one... Don't get me
> wrong, there is no silver bullet.  These are all just tools, no
> universal hammers.  We will need them all.

One of the reason nuke is so expensive is today's safety requirements.
You can't make them cheap.